March 12, 2013 by j1scotty
- Lauren here. Just thought you all would like to know.
- Jen loves writing in bullet-point form. So, to make her proud, I decided to copy her for one post. This won’t be a regular occurrence for me, so soak it in while you can.
- Cold weather. I hate it. It’s Florida and we’re in March. I should be experiencing beach weather every day. Instead, I have been forced to bring out my one winter sweater, which still is not warm enough for this awful coldness that has swept through our otherwise warm state. Now, I know what everyone else is thinking….I’m a spoiled Florida brat who doesn’t even know what cold weather means. And you’re right. I’m not denying it. I am a born and raised Florida girl, and I can whine about cold weather if I want to. I don’t like it. Real dumb.
- JEN DID HER FIRST CROSSFIT COMPETITION. That statement deserved all caps, trust me. Slowly but surely, she is checking everything off of her bucket list, and she did it without Pepto. Let me repeat: Without Pepto! So proud of her. And I was there to witness her awesomeness.
- The Harlem Shake. I don’t get it. Why is it so popular? Maybe I just can’t appreciate it because I have no dance moves at all. Two left feet and no rhythm. I’m doomed.
This past week has been incredibly and weirdly cold for Florida. I mean, we got down into low 30’s in March! It’s March people! I don’t know if we are being punished because we didn’t get a winter this year while everyone up North was experiencing crazy snow storms. But quite frankly, I live in Florida for a reason. Just saying.
So, on to Jen and her awesomeness. She competed in a crossfit competition this last weekend at Crossfit Vindicate, and she has now been bitten by the competition bug! That’s right, she loved it and she rocked it. She placed 4th overall in the scaled division, and another athlete from our gym, the beautiful Alana, placed 5th , while a third athlete, Gary, placed 4th overall in the men’s scaled division. The WOD’s were hard and it was freezing, which made them even harder. I was so proud of them in their first competition and can’t wait to compete in one with Jen. I think it’ll happen sometime this year, so stay tuned!
While at the competition, I realized that I yell really loud. Like, my voice echoes and I was getting annoyed with myself. So I can only imagine what the other spectators there thought of me. So to all of you, I apologize. My excitement can’t be tamed, and neither can my loud mouth apparently. Jen is used to it, so I think it motivated her. I think? She might have been on the list of people who were annoyed with me. I can’t be sure.
Also, the cool thing about this competition is that it had more than the two normal divisions of scaled and RX. It also had a beginners division where athletes that have only been doing Crossfit for a couple of months could participate and experience a competitive setting. Very cool. I loved it and thought it was a great idea and perfect opportunity for those who were intimidated by Crossfit competitons…ahem, Jen.
So, let’s talk about the CROSSFIT OPEN! It has begun ladies and gentleman. To say I am excited is an understatement. I want to pee my pants with joy. The first WOD, 13.1, was announced Wednesday night at 8:00pm. I was working at my second job, so I couldn’t watch it announced live. Yes, if there is such a thing as a Crossfit nerd, then I am one. I state it loud and proud. So, who is awesome and texts me the announcement? Of course my other half, Jen. You would have thought I was having a seizure at my job with all my excitement after I saw it. Power Snatches in the first WOD?? Now you’re speaking my language. Yes, it involves burpees. Yay burpees as Burgener would say! Not a fan of those but I have gotten better. The WOD is:
17 minute AMRAP
40 burpees, 30 snatches at 45 lbs
30 burpees, 30 snatches at 75 lbs
20 burpees, 30 snatches at 100 lbs
10 burpees, 30 snatches at 120 lbs
Attempted this on Friday and got 150 reps. Attempted again on Saturday and got 158 reps. As of right now, I am ranked 328th out of 4,320 women in the South East region. Not too shabby. Jen did it also. Because I bribed her. Because that’s how I roll. I’ll let her tell you how she did. So, wish Jen and I luck, we’ll need it for the next five weeks!! Oh Crossfit life, it never gets old.
This episode of Butt N Gutts has been brought to you by the letter N. Need I say more? Yes? Okay…N for never give up. N for nightclubs and naked people. I try and stay away from those two things. N for nightmares. You only have those if you fear something. Face your fears and do things that scare you. Then your nightmares have no hold over you. N for nobody can stop me. Now go chase your dreams and don’t let anyone get in the way of them.
P.S. Even if you didn’t sign up for the Open, you should still attempt to do the WOD each week. Test yourself and push yourself to your limit. You will be amazed at how proud of yourself you can be and surprised at what your body can do.